Female Hormone and stroke
• Low dose transdermal estrogen does not increase risk of stroke
• Hormone: slight increased risk of vte, absolute risk is very low
• old age, obesity, presence of factor V leiden may increase risk.
• transdermal estradiol has lower risk for vte, stroke, than oral
• transdermal dose of 50 mcg/day is approximately equivalent to a 0.625 mg daily oral dose of conjugated estrogens
• For woman with intact uterus, need to add oral micronized progesterone to prevent endometrial hyperplasia
• Post hysterectomy woman does not need progestin